Monday, January 11, 2016

My Migration from Malaysia to Australia

I flew to Adelaide on a plane after Christmas 2015. The reason for this journey is a long-term migration on a permanent residency visa. This is something that I have planned for a long time, since May 2013. Thankfully, my application for the PR visa was granted on Dec 2014. One of the conditions with the visa is that I must land in South Australia before 31 Dec 2015. So here I am in Adelaide, a permanent resident of Australia with permission to work.

Prior to entering Australia, I had quit my job one year earlier in order to be better prepared. The visa that I applied for is called SA state-nominated 190, which means I am morally (but not legally) obligated to stay and work within South Australia.

Well, 2015-2016 is not exactly the best time to find a job in South Australia. However, I felt determined to challenge myself and thrive as a permanent resident and perhaps towards Australian citizenship in the future. To tell you the truth, it has not been an easy decision to make. There is a huge impact and consequence in terms of personal career progression ( in my case it's total abandonment ), financial accommodation, physical and emotional struggle, social circles and other forms of sacrifices. It was partly why I delayed my actual move almost a year after the visa was granted.

As mentioned earlier, I decided to prepare by resigning from my position and started my own business. I knew there was little probability of success and there will be a major hurdle to continue managing the business once I have moved. But it was the easiest way for me to challenge myself and learn life outside of the corporate executive life I was used to. I also took up small-scale farming, partly because I do enjoy gardening and nature, and also because I thought no matter what happen, one can always survive by living with nature.

... to be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment